Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fiarytales to anything goes in Holland Day 80-86








































We fly out of Heathrow and land in Amsterdam, and go straight to Edam. As we arrive in Edam we feel like we just stepped into a fairytale with boat canals and the majority of people ride bikes not cars. Things are beyond spring here with the Lilacs and Tulips in full bloom reminding me of a combination of spring on the Island and Alberta, the fragrance and air is alive with rebirth of life everywhere.

I want to thank Geertje for finding this treasure of a place we stayed right on the canal with Martin as our lovely Dutch Host. Geertje is this lovely Dutch woman we met in Ireland while at a Clearmind workshop. We had a great time with her and partner Ric in Edam.

We traveled around to small villages such as Markken and Volendam, and just hung out in the land of cheese and flowers and Bicycles like I have never seen. You can travel from village to village everywhere , its really quite something. This culture knows how to riide bikes too, and no helmuts! They just cruise!! Its very inspiring actually, and if I was rich I would have bought us all Dutch bikes, incredibly made.

Amsterdam was a hoot, no pun intended, the openness of everthing is quite incredible,and yet somehow  in the midst of the "coffeshops" and red light district there doesn't seem to be any sense of corruption or feelings of unsafety. From a psychological point a view what we don't give any power perhaps doesn't have a need for crime and corruption. 

The canals in Amsterdam and the Van Gogh museum  and the style of architecture  was for me personally a city I found exciting , the kids were so so with it, I think more to do with at this point in time really wanting the smaller quainter places for we have seen alot. Borys and I loved Amsterdam, and its wild and artisitc edge. 

Going to Anne Franks house , was a very moving expiernce, and another thing I love about this city is they stand for Freedom from oppression and repression in a huge way. They really want to achive a way where people make choices based on  thinking of the most peaceful way, and what works.

So it's been lovely being here and  I thought of my Dutch friends and brother in law while here, - Harri I really understand why you ride your bike everywhere. Mike you will have to bring Kelly and the Girls here someday after the new arrival.

 Oh yes, and I cant forget the chickens. We came across some very exotic  chickens while in Holland and a lot of people have them for pets as we once did back in Alberta. We have missed them so we  made  friends with the ones we stayed with at  our B&B  in Edam.

Bye for now, see you in Belgium and Paris.........................

1 comment:

Sabine said...

Oh - I used to have some good times in Amsterdam too - definitely a great and 'open minded' city.
I am still getting goosebumps thinking how totally awesome this trip is for you guys!! I cannot wait for you all to come back and hear more about it!!